This ad is expired.
Library Technician, Senior
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 19-041
Campus: Foothill College
Close/Initial Review Date: 11/27/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Initial Review Date: 11/27/19
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
Starting Salary: $4,232.28 (per month) plus benefits; Salary Grade: C1-44
Full Salary Range: $4,232.28-$5,657.89 (per month)
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the classified position above.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
The faculty and staff of the Library are committed to student success, by providing a space where students have access to resources to support their academic and personal growth. The Senior Library Technician will work directly with students, faculty, and staff to promote student success and equity. This position will include, but not be limited to, the following duties: interface directly with students to help locate/select library materials, interpret and resolve questions regarding library policies and procedures, and address library concerns, including liability for damaged or lost materials; interface with faculty to identify and order instructional materials for library reserves; collaborate with library colleagues to determine and implement library policies and procedures. This position reports to the Dean of Language Arts and the Learning Resource Center; the position is located primarily at the Foothill College campus with some hours at the Sunnyvale Center.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform paraprofessional duties in an assigned functional area of a library; oversee, schedule, coordinate and perform activities; prepare complex records and reports; review and resolve issues and concerns.
The Senior Library Technician performs more complex duties involved in overseeing a functional area of a library while providing work direction and guidance to library staff and students. The Library Technician performs technical duties typically involved in circulation functions.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Order print and non-print materials according to established guidelines; receive and process new library materials, verifying shipments with purchase orders; assure appropriate distribution.
- Catalog and process new print and non-print instructional materials for library catalogs; perform catalog maintenance.
- Assist students and staff in locating and selecting materials and in researching materials.
- Operate a computer terminal and related hardware and software for cataloging and maintaining records; generate statistical reports; assist others in the use of related computer software as necessary.
- Train library faculty, staff and students in use of the library computer catalog and various systems throughout the library; hire, schedule, train and provide work direction to students assistants and temporary help as assigned.
- Prepare and maintain records on circulation and distribution, reserve books, book cost data, new books received, lost and damaged books, overdue books, requisitions, purchase orders, and student and staff use of library materials.
- Operate and maintain Library Automation System hardware and software; backup system, generate reports and install system upgrades; assist other staff and resolve hardware and software issues; diagnose, analyze, and resolve computer problems for library work areas.
- Interpret and resolve questions regarding library policies; answer day-to-day procedural questions; assign, distribute and adjust work assignments.
- Write procedures and make recommendations for assigned service areas; implement library policies and procedures; participate in planning and monitoring budgets.
- Assist students with difficult library concerns; determine liability for damaged materials and resolve billing issues according to established guidelines.
- Maintain inter-library loan automated system; input transactions, compile statistics and annual reports, review for copyright compliance and assure other guidelines are met; ship and receive materials.
- Assure library facilities are in proper order; report maintenance problems; open and close the library.
- Reproduce a variety of instructional media materials as requested; repair damaged books.
- Attend in-service meetings and other meetings and workshops as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Library/media terminology and standard library/media practices and techniques in an automated environment.
- Library research methods and of most bibliographic sources.
- General types and uses of library print and non-print materials including standard reference materials.
- Library systems and services.
- Library of Congress classification and automated bibliographic records.
- On-line cataloging using bibliographic utilities.
- Principles of training and providing work direction.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Perform paraprofessional duties in an assigned functional area of a library.
- Oversee, schedule, coordinate and perform activities.
- Prepare complex records and reports.
- Review and resolve issues and concerns.
- Process and shelve instructional media center materials and assist students and staff in the selection of instructional media center materials.
- Assemble, organize and prepare data for records and reports.
- Understand and resolve issues, complaints, and problems.
- Apply and explain library rules, regulations, and policies.
- Operate a variety of equipment including computer terminal, related software packages, other office and audio-visual equipment.
- Work effectively with constant interruptions.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Prioritize work.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Train and provide work direction.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Any combination equivalent to an associate's degree AND four (4) years clerical of increasingly responsible technical library experience.
- Library environment.
- Constant interruptions.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard.
- Seeing to read various materials.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling heavy objects up to 30 lbs including book carts.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Full-Time, Permanent, 11 months per year
Starting date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency