Salary: $56,910.00 - $85,427.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-time Faculty - Tenure-Track
Job Number: 5725-f-01/19
Closing: 12/31/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Tulare, CA
College of the Sequoias is seeking a candidate to fill a full-time, tenured track Welding Professor position in the Industry & Technology Division beginning August, 2019. The assignment includes maintaining a Welding Technology program and lab facility appropriate to current procedures and technologies within the industry. The faculty member must be able to teach classes in all of the following subjects: welding (SMAW-GMAW-GTAW), sheet metal layout and fabrication, blue-print reading, basic industrial skills and safety. Additional courses may be added or courses altered as the instructor grows and develops the program. Evening classes, weekend classes and/or classroom instruction at off-campus centers in nearby communities and/or pre-collegiate classes may be required.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties of the Welding Professor include:
The faculty member will provide instruction in accordance with established course outlines and expectations and is responsible for curriculum design and updates as well as creation and tracking of student learning objectives. He/she will take the lead for growing/maintaining program enrollment through such activities as student recruitment, serving as an advisor to student organizations and engaging with high school programs that are involved in the Welding pathway. The faculty member also will work with industry through advisories, taskforces or committees to connect the Welding Program and students with job and internship opportunities as well as maintain the currency of the program.
The faculty member will work with faculty, staff and administrators to ensure the District's Teaching Laboratory at the Tulare College Center is functioning to support the welding program and will coordinate with faculty in disciplines such as Ag Technology who also use the facility.
Other responsibilities include participation in the governance of the college via committee assignments, maintenance of a required number of office hours to meet student needs, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality, justice, and appreciation for diversity throughout our college.
The candidate must meet the following criteria.
- Any Bachelor's degree from an acceptable accredited institution AND
- two (2) years of professional experience in welding OR
- Any Associate degree from an acceptable accredited institution AND
- six (6) years professional experience in welding OR
- The equivalent AND
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: If claiming equivalency, please complete and submit the appropriate Equivalency paperwork found at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Equivalency-Policy.aspx. Your equivalency paperwork must be submitted as a "supplemental attachment" within the "Attachment" section of this application.
In looking at application materials, the Hiring Committee also seeks evidence of the following:
- Experience in and/or commitment to working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomics, academic and disability backgrounds.
- Certified American Welding Society Instructor (AWS) with experience in teaching and industry training.
- Teaching experience in welding (2 years desired).
- Industry experience and connections with ability to grow opportunities for internships and work experiences that lead to full-time employment.
- Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sound pedagogy and adult teaching techniques that contribute to student learning and engagement.
- Ability to design and implement best practices for increased success and completion through proven best practices such as embedded remediation, integration of career preparatory activities and integration of industry certifications into the classes and Program.
- Ability to work in collegial relationships with students and faculty.
- Willingness to work collegially toward development and implementation of Division goals that are mapped to District goals and objectives.
- Willingness to engage in professional development around teaching improvement and/or welding technical skills improvement.
- Ability to create and/or engage in research or collaborative projects with industry, Community College partners around teaching and/or best practices within the welding industry with the intent of increasing student opportunities in real-world experiences.
- Willingness to participate in departmental, campus, district professional activities/committees.
- Experience working with industry through advisories, taskforces or committees.
- Ability to connect the Welding Program and students with job and internship opportunities.
- Ability to incorporate student learning outcome objectives within course and programs and willingness to use and develop stated objectives and measures.
- Ability to make a positive contribution to the instructional program at College of the Sequoias by developing instructional activities, course syllabi, and other necessary materials.
- Experience with or interest in alternative instructional modes, such as web-based or on-line instruction, multi-media systems, cooperative learning, or integrated curricula.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
- Copies of transcripts (officials required upon employment)
Full-time faculty members enjoy a number of benefits while working at the College of the Sequoias. These benefits include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (for more information, please visit "Employee Insurance" on COS' Human Resources webpage at: http://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Insurance.aspx
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan (STRS or PERS)
01 Please provide a statement about yourself that specifically demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community at large.
- Any Bachelor's degree from an acceptable accredited institution AND two (2) years of professional experience in welding
- Any Associate degree from an acceptable accredited institution AND six (6) years professional experience in welding
- The equivalent AND Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/2284746/welding-professor
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency