Advanced Practice Professional (Physician Assistant) (TEMP) Occupational Health Services
Job Opening ID: 184442
Work Location: Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Um Hospital
Department: Campus OHS
Posting Begin/End Date: 2/13/2020 2/21/2020
Paid Time Off:
Career Interest: Physician Assistant - Advanced Practice Professional
Temporary Job Opening
How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.NPs are directed to apply to job # 184441 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 184442A total of one (1), Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this temporary job opening.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Occupational Health Services (OHS) PA/NP provides evaluation, treatment and preventive care of employees with occupationally related injuries and illnesses from the University of Michigan Campus and Michigan Medicine. This care is provided independently and in collaboration with other PA/NP's and the OHS Medical Director, and in conjunction with other University departments.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide evaluation, treatment, preventative care, and referrals as indicated for U-M employees reporting work-related injuries and illnesses.
- Provide care, counseling and referral for employees presenting with potentially infectious diseases and/or exposure to infectious diseases.
- Provide patient education of various health issues as needed.
- Formulate work restrictions, identify safe work practices, and recommend individual health activities, as part of an optimal return to work plan.
- Prescribe appropriately for scheduled and unscheduled medications under prescriptive authority of the OHS Medical Director.
- Perform medical surveillance exams for U-M employees, including but not limited to DOT, respirator, asbestos and other hazardous exposure exams as mandated by EH&S, SMS and OSHA.
- Review medical results including audiograms, spirometry, blood and urine testing and radiographs.
- Provide clinical expertise and consultations to other OHS staff regarding new employee health assessments, TB surveillance, blood borne pathogen exposures and immunizations.
- Complete medical records in a timely manner and in keeping with UMHS expectations.
- Collaborate with U-M Work~Connections to determine compensability of medical claims and to establish optimal management of employees for return to work plans.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of evidence-based medical principles, practices, standards and techniques, and apply this knowledge in accordance with Michigan Medicine policies and procedures, Medical Staff Bylaws and in compliance with State and federal laws/regulations.
- Participate in activities that promote professional growth and self-development.
- Collaborates with other members of the team to achieve the ideal patient care experience.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED FROM: OHS Medical Director (NP's have a reporting relationship to Nurse Manager)
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: No functional or administrative supervision is exercised.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The employee will be able to perform the assigned duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations: ability to work in a sedentary position for long periods of time, ability to communicate/ exchange information, fine motor coordination/dexterity necessary for keyboarding or typing, and may require reaching, bending, twisting, stooping, moving about, lifting of up to 10 pounds, etc., with or without the use of assistive/adaptive devices.
OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD INFORMATION: Staff members may have routine exposure to all chemical inventory, inclusive of hazardous materials, including but not limited to: the office, hospital and clinics. Chemical inventory reference materials are available to all staff in the form of hard copy and on-line Material Safety Data Sheets. Staff may carry out assignments at the hospital, clinics, campus departments and the OHS clinic. Staff may drive their personal vehicle and/or walk on uneven surfaces to these various work site locations in all weather conditions on a regular basis.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work and/or difficulty that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibility of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Other Related Duties:
Practices within the scope of license, certification, or registration. Complies with all applicable continuing education requirements. Complies with all University of Michigan and departmental standards and expectations. Supports the department's commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications NP:
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Primary Care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Required Qualifications PA:
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
** Under Michigan Law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of employment or transfer for this position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Minimum of 3 years' practice experience in an occupational health setting
- Demonstrated ability in effectively communicating with peers, co-workers and staff at all levels
- Demonstrates a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; and demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to work independently;
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated effective problem solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer skills, Microsoft Office software, Outlook and other applicable platforms
- Ability to complete basic clerical/support tasks, including proper telephone technique, typing, computer and data entry skills
- Become certified to perform Department of Transportation driver physical examinations.
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures
- Experience working in EPIC/Michart and other University of Michigan software systems
Shift/Days: Anticipate a Day Shift, Monday - Friday, no weekends or holidays.
Note: This is a temporary position, providing coverage for a leave.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University's research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/184442/advanced_practice_professional_physician_assistant_temp_occupational_health_services
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency