Communication Studies Department Administrative Assistant
Media and Communication
Performs routine administrative support or technical program assistance work. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The College of Media & Communication at Texas Tech University is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant for the Department of Communication Studies. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible with covering the following essential duties:
- Responsible to serve as the primary administrative support to the Department Chair scheduling meetings, taking minutes, preparing meeting materials, handling emails, and other miscellaneous tasks as assigned for the smooth operation of the department
- Assist Department Chair and Assistant Department Chair with creating and scheduling undergraduate courses. Including, but not limited to working closely with ASFR to delegate general purpose classrooms, computer lab assignments, and assisting faculty.
- Assists departmental faculty with the ordering of assigned textbooks for courses each semester and acts as a liaison between faculty and the campus bookstore to ensure that all textbooks are ordered in time to be received prior to the start of each semester.
- Catalogs various data pertaining to syllabi, final grades, student evaluations, and departmental information for the Department Chair
- Conducts research of student statistical information and historical data
- Responsible for coordinating and handling all logistics for departmental events, prospective faculty visits, guest speaker visits, and various other departmental functions to include but not limited to handling travel, finalizing itineraries, scheduling rooms, sending email invitations, ordering food, handling all details to ensure the success of each event/visit and ensuring that all TTU policies are followed for events
- Handles all hiring processes for full-time and part-time departmental faculty, e.g., handling all Kenexa processes, placing external job ads, faculty credentialing, Start-Up Package, Request for Official Offer Letter, Summer Appointments, preparation of I9, and submitting ePAFs to ensure all faculty are appointed and paid on time pursuant to TTU policies
- Responsible for all HR and Procurement paperwork processes needed for the department to include Manual Check Requests, Manual Leave Adjustment forms, Lump Sum payments, additional compensation, new faculty moving expense reimbursement, procurement card reconciliation, purchase orders, cost transfers, budget revisions, labor distribution/redistribution, deposits, etc.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of all departmental faculty and graduate student travel applications and vouchers
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of all prospective faculty and guest speaker travel procurement paperwork
- Responsible for assisting in hiring all Teaching Assistants for the COMS MA program: maintaining lists of those hired, helping to get information to the students,
- Maintain records of all MA students as they matriculate through the program and keep records of their progress, their employment in the department, and their first job after graduation.
- Maintain all necessary records for each 5-year review of the graduate program
- Keep track of MA student permissions for taking graduate classes and give them the access key for signing up
- Assist the COMS Graduate Advisor to verify and clear all student records when they apply to graduate
- Maintain all travel and spending records for the COMS debate team and work in conjunction with the Debate Coach for these records and files
Completion of high school or the equivalent. Five years office experience. Additional education may substitute for experience on a year for year basis.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and effectively plan, organize, and prioritize goals
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills (both face-to-face and written)
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and maintain positive work relationships with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students
- Knowledgeable in working in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Publisher
- Typing speed of at least 70 WPM
- Additional Preferred TTU Training and/or willingness to be trained:
- P-Card Reconciliation
- TechBuy (purchase orders)
- Kenexa (hiring processes)
- Financial Management 101
- Ad Astra Scheduling
- I9 and e-Verify
To apply, visit workattexastech.com
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicants race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency