California State University, San Bernardino
Employment Status: Full-time, "Exempt," At-Will, position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
Work Schedule: Typically, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some evenings and weekend hours may be required.
First Review Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning July 27, 2020.
Required Application Materials: All applicants must submit a letter of interest or cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae. Candidates who are invited to participate in the interview process will also be required to submit a Diversity Statement and/or writing sample at a later date.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources. We are seeking an organizational leader who provides guidance to all levels within the organization, utilizing specialized labor and employee relations expertise to resolve questions, concerns, and grievances for a large, complex group of employees in creative and effective ways. Represents the campus at hearings. Provides advanced professional advice and counsel to management on labor and employee relations issues, employee engagement efforts, and projects in support of a high-performance workplace. Works on labor and employee relations matters that are the most diverse and complex in scope and where analysis of data and situations requires evaluation of many factors and implications with broad impact on the organization.
California State University, San Bernardino is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Opened in 1965 and set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually.
Cal State San Bernardino is listed among the best colleges and universities in the western United States, according to The Princeton Review, Forbes and U.S. News and World Report, in their respective annual rankings.
This position offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package including a tuition assistance program within the CSU. Benefits include but are not limited to: a vacation accrual, paid holidays; excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance; and retirement benefits.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for administering and interpreting labor/union contracts for compliance with requirements and for providing ongoing guidance to University managers and supervisors on meeting responsibilities as defined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) such as but not limited to union notices, union business leaves, requests for information and meet and confer obligations.
- Provides advice and counsel to managers and assigned client groups on such issues as performance management, complex organizational changes, work place climate and other related areas. Reviews and conducts risk assessment for employee personnel action to determine appropriate level of corrective action and discipline up to and including termination.
- Responsible for investigating and responding to grievances; assisting in legal issues related to labor and employee relations; Oversees maintenance of records for grievance actions, formal investigations, and complaints ensuring compliance with CBA and statutory requirements.
- Represents University at State Personnel Board, Unfair Labor Practice Charge hearings, Unemployment Compensation Hearings; negotiates settlement and separation agreements as necessary.
- Coordinates with Office of General Counsel and outside counsel to respond to employment litigation. Serves as a liaison between management and counsel. Assists counsel with all phases or pre -trial / trial including development of strategic direction of the case and settlement strategies. In partnership with the University Legal Counsel, participates in hearings and mediations by performing such tasks as interviewing potential witnesses, hearing preparation, and preparing exhibits
- Develops and presents training programs for campus, and administration in the areas of employee and labor relations, California Title 5 and university policies.
- Keeps current with state and federal laws and regulations through official publications and communication with appropriate agencies; Ensures that legal and regulatory requirements are met in terms of employee relations to minimize exposure to liability for the organization.
- Formulates procedures for supervisors, in alignment with the University's vision, mission, core values, CBA's policies, procedures, as well as federal, state, and local laws.
- Participates in University committees and other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and five (5) years of human resources generalist experience including significant labor management, employee relations and complaint investigation experience in both union and non-union environments.
- Post graduate degree in Human Resources, Public Administration or Law.
- Certification in Labor Relations Management
- Employee and/or labor relations experience in a higher education and/or public agency setting.
- Applicants must possess thorough knowledge, technical mastery, skill and judgment in the application of relevant federal, state and local employment and labor laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated experience with mediation and effective conflict resolution, facilitation and consultation skills are required along with a skill in fact-finding, analysis, problem-solving and consulting to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Experience managing a dispute resolution program or grievance program.
- Demonstrated experience managing collective bargaining agreements.
- Applicants must possess excellent written verbal and presentation communication skills, and strong leadership skills.
- Applicants must have the ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships across the University.
- Applicants must have the ability to be a team player with superior ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with the uses of databases, data analysis and modeling as management tools required.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Experience in a collective bargaining environment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency