POLICE OFFICER (Police Officer)
Posting Number: VA812
Under general supervision, Police Officers will look out for the welfare of the entire University, working closely with all University departments, utilizing a strong understanding of all laws including search and seizure, and probable cause; will patrol, respond to and handle incidents involving violations of law or campus regulations; will conduct thorough criminal investigations; testify in court; provide general information and assistance to the public; and apply progressive police principles and best practices.
This position requires:
- Current enrollment in, or successful completion of, a California Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.). Basic Police Academy is required at the time of application. Possession of a valid Certificate of Completion of the Basic Academy is required at time of appointment.
- Must be a high school graduate, pass the General Education Development (GED) Test indicating high school graduation level, or have attained a two-year or four-year degree from a college or university.
MINIMUM STANDARDS for POLICE OFFICER CANDIDATES (California Government Code Section 1031):
- Must have no felony convictions.
- Must have no misdemeanor convictions containing elements of domestic violence.
- Must successfully complete fingerprint and records check including local, state and federal criminal records.
- Must satisfy citizenship requirements detailed in Government code 1031 (a) & 1031.5. Be a U. S. citizen, or a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship and obtains citizenship within three years of application date.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age by the time of sworn appointment.
- Must have good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation which will be conducted as prescribed in the P.O.S.T. Administrative Manual, and must be completed prior to appointment date.
- Must be free from any physical, emotional, and mental condition which might adversely affect the exercise of powers of a police officer.
- Must be able to read and write at the levels necessary to perform the job of a police officer as determined by the use of the P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery or other job-related tests of reading and writing ability.
- A valid California drivers license is required by time of appointment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Throughout employment in this position incumbent must maintain a valid California Drivers License as well as continued completion and compliance of the CSU Defensive Drivers Training course.
- This is considered a sensitive position. As a result, current CSU, Chico employees are subject to a thorough background investigation which will be conducted as prescribed in the P.O.S.T. Administrative Manual, and must be completed prior to appointment date.
POLICE OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS AND TESTING:
The following may be completed PRIOR to an offer of employment:
1. Physical agility test which will be done as outlined by P.O.S.T.
2. Oral interview by a panel.
3. Personal History/Background Investigation includes, completion of a personal history statement, Live Scan fingerprinting and local, state and federal criminal records check in accordance with current P.O.S.T. standards.
The following shall be completed AFTER a conditional offer of employment has been made:
1. Medical examination including drug screening of which the specific requirements shall be as outlined in the P.O.S.T. Medical Screening Manual for California Law Enforcement. If the candidate fails the medical examination, the conditional offer of employment must be withdrawn.
2. Psychological examination/review which shall be in accordance with current P.O.S.T. standards.
3. Background investigation follow-up.
Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Must be able to position self to complete all the physical requirements of active duty as a police officer.
Must be able to perform law enforcement duties and emergency related duties in various environments (indoor, outdoor, inclement weather, and other adverse conditions, etc.) Requires ability to work various rotating shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays. May be required to work on short notice. May require evening/night and weekend travel.
Personal protective equipment required: police uniform (as described in the University Police General Orders Manual) and duty belt with weapon.Closing Date:
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: CLICK TO APPLY
California State University, Chico employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. California State University, Chico is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Americans with Disabilities Act employer. An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the California State University Police Department (530) 898-5555 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency