This ad is expired.
Job Type: Staff
Department: Fiscal Services
College of the Desert is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
The College serves over 15,000 students. College of the Desert is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with almost 70% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
Under the direction of the Director, Fiscal Services, perform specialized technical duties in the preparation and processing of payroll for assigned employee groups; prepare and maintain a variety of financial and statistical records, reports and other documents as required.
Bargaining Unit Position, Range 12
This position is 40 hours a week/12 months a year
The schedule is Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
Hours subject to change based on District need
- Organize, prepare, monitor and generate payroll for assigned employee groups including faculty, classified, temporary and student employees review payroll employment forms and employment agreements for completeness, accuracy and compliance with Federal regulations.
- Prepare payroll input data for County data processing and receive County print-outs and advise County of amendments, changes or corrections; process forms; audit and balance computer print-outs on federal and State tax reports; prepare quarterly tax reports for County office.
- Review and process time reports submitted for accuracy; verify and enter necessary corrections, adjustments or revisions to payroll as needed; monitor and interpret timesheets to determine eligibility for benefits in accordance with collective bargaining agreements.
- Update District-wide employee records for taxes, benefits, union dues, TSA, 403(b) plans, credit unions and other miscellaneous deductions.
- Monitor, interpret and determine eligibility for retirement systems; assign appropriate retirement codes.
- Prepare payroll simulations as requested by employees.
- Calculate and process levies, advances, Workers Compensation, garnishments and other adjustments as needed; calculate, monitor, maintain and input vacation, sick, differential pay, and personal necessity leave.
- Prepare, balance and maintain various reports and records; prepare the balanced payroll report and submit to appropriate supervisor for review and approval; process W-2, W-4, DE-4 and other forms.
- Coordinate and maintain personnel/payroll system position control with county office.
- Respond to inquiries regarding payroll; interpret and explain laws, ordinances, regulations, policies and procedures; maintain current knowledge of federal and State laws and District policies and procedures related to payroll functions.
- Communicate with District personnel to coordinate activities, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information; communicate with outside organizations as needed; respond to earning verification requests; assist with audits as needed.
- Process direct deposit requests as assigned; analyze and maintain records and files for direct deposit authorization forms and registers.
- Enroll participants, monitor and oversee tax sheltered annuities (TSAs) and District 403(b) agreements for eligibility and compliance with IRS limitations; verify and maintain exclusion allowance forms.
- Prepare management tools for managers and supervisors relative to sick leave, vacation and other leaves of absence.
- Audit overtime and compensatory time records as requested.
- Operate a computer, calculator and related office equipment.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school supplemented by some college-level course work with a grade of C or better in accounting, finance or related field and four years of increasingly responsible financial record-keeping experience including at least one year in a payroll function.
Knowledge of: Preparation, maintenance, verification and processing of payroll records; principles in payroll and records administration; payroll policies and procedures; applicable laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities; financial record-keeping techniques; automated payroll systems; collective bargaining agreements and processes; operation of a computer and assigned software; modern office practices, procedures and equipment; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; technical aspects of field of specialty; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Ability to: Perform technical duties in the preparation and processing of payroll for assigned employee groups; maintain records and prepare reports; maintain current knowledge of payroll rules, regulations, requirements and restrictions; work confidentially with discretion; understand and work within scope of authority; work independently with little direction; add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately; operate a computer and related office equipment; communicate effectively both orally and in writing to exchange information; analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action; meet schedules and time lines; plan and organize work; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; sit for extended periods of time.
Working Conditions: WORKING CONDITIONS
Environment: Office environment. Constant interruptions.
Full Time/Part Time:
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Tuesday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Wednesday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Thursday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Friday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Salary Schedule Range: Range 12
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 18-575
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date (if temporary):
Interview Date: 01/24/2019
Posting Open Date: 12/05/2018
Posting Close Date: 12/30/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The List of Professional References should include at least two current or previous supervisors and two other references not related to the applicant (including classified support staff). Please include names, e-mail addresses and current telephone numbers for each professional reference in your application. Applicants from sectors other than higher education should submit comparable references. Letters of reference will not be accepted in lieu of the required List of Professional References.
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- Unofficial Transcripts: Must be from an accredited institution, show name of institution, degree awarded, discipline, and date awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of the required transcripts.
To apply, visit https://cod.peopleadmin.com/postings/3158
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency