Research Lab Tech Associate or Intermediate
Job Opening ID: 185268
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Medical School
Department: GSA - Administration (GSA/ADM)
Posting Begin/End Date: 3/25/2020 4/26/2020
Paid Time Off:
Highly motivated individual sought for a study manager/research technician position in a basic/translational research laboratory in the Department of Surgery. The candidate will work closely with the PI and senior technicians who manages a funded research effort that studies molecular and cellular mechanisms of adipose tissue biology with the ultimate goal of developing novel therapy for metabolic diseases including diabetes.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world's most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings.
- Perform molecular and cellular biology bench research applied to human and mouse tissue samples, including but not limited to 2D and 3D cell culture, QRTPCR, Western blotting, ELISA, microscopy, and gel electrophoresis. Some animal (mouse) research required, including mouse sacrifice, dissection, surgery.
- Coordinate human tissue sample procurement, including processing, storage, and documentation of human tissue samples.
- Manage IRB documentation for human subject enrollment and tissue processing.
- Maintain accurate data logs, assist with reagent ordering, lab maintenance, and overall smooth functioning of laboratory
- Intermediate level may be expected to have more autonomy in administering the above research procedures.
Applicant must be hard working, highly motivated, well organized, able to work with minimal supervision, with strong quantitative skills, an ability to work efficiently, follow instructions, and maintain a reliable work schedule. .
Applicant must have excellent oral and written English communication skills, effective judgment and problem solving skills, an ability to work as a team member with a wide variety of co-workers, efficient multi-tasking skills, and meticulous attention to detail.
Research Lab Technician Associate: HS Diploma and 0-1 year experience required.
Research Lab Technician Intermediate: HS Diploma and 1-3 years experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or closely related field desired.
- Experience with bench research desirable, especially human and murine cell culture, mouse handling/dissection, QRTPCR, ELISA, Western blotting, microscopy, desirable.
- Experience with adipose tissue/adipocyte culture techniques and biologic assays highly desirable.
- Experience with IRB management and coordination of human tissue collection among clinicians and researchers desirable.
Flexibility in work hours is required, including some early AM/late PM/evening/weekend work.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/185268/research_lab_tech_associate_or_intermediate
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency