Senior Director of International Admission- China
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Senior Director of International Admission- China
University of San Francisco's student population of approximately 11,000 includes over 1,500 international undergraduate and graduate students. Of these, currently over half are Chinese citizens making Chinese students the largest source of international students for the University. Under the general supervision and direction of Assistant Vice Provost for International Admission, the Senior Director of International Admission - China develops the recruitment strategy, oversees territory managers for China, and leads the recruitment and admission of international undergraduate and graduate students for this large and critically important part of the USF community.
Full Job Description:
INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE STUDENT RECRUITMENTIdentify key markets, strategies, and tactics to recruit and enroll prospective students
- In consultation with the AVP, develop a comprehensive strategic plan with clear deliverables for the recruitment and retention of Chinese students to USF.
- Establish key geographic and institutional recruitment targets.
- Utilize best practice tactics in working with feeder schools and colleges in recruitment.
- Initiate effective communication avenues to prospective students, counselors and other key influencers.
- Lead USF's partnership with agencies in China including selection, monitoring and evaluation.
- Identify possible partnerships, such as 2+2 programs, with Chinese universities.
- Help identify prospective students in China, facilitate admissions process for potential undergraduate and graduate students.
- Participate in international student recruitment tours, and serve as USF representative at select international student recruitment and education fairs in China. Ensure appropriate follow-up with prospective students.
- Make visits to international high schools and give presentations to the prospective students and the high school guidance counselors or career counselors in China and follow-up on individual connections.
- Develop close relationships with the high school guidance counselors and communicate with them on regular basis to facilitate their students' application process.
- Provide personal attention, deliver USF information (including USF programs, USF student life, USF facilities and services) and promote USF in a positive matter to the prospects.
- Respond to prospective students' inquiries and send information as requested.
Identify, establish, and manage recruitment contacts abroad
- Establish connections with Educational Advising and Information Centers affiliated with the US Department of State, as well as with Fulbright Commission, U.S. Commercial Service and other Education USA-related offices abroad.
- Work with school deans and their recruitment staff to develop graduate recruitment plans that will enhance and supplement school based efforts.
- Explore and identify reliable education agencies in China and in U.S., and establish relations with education consultants that facilitate study in the United States.
- Provide training session to the education agencies and to make sure they have the most updated USF information.
- Collaborate with education agencies to streamline student applications, acceptance, and admission process.
- Provide recommendations for development of new student markets and outreach or recruitment efforts for China.
Prepare and Produce Targeted Recruitment Materials
- Assist in the production and dissemination of specially designed international student recruitment materials such as application forms, flyers and booth design including those translated into the local language.
- Contribute to development and implementation of communication plan of sequenced correspondence with prospective, applicant, and admitted international students.
Management of recruitment team focused on China
- Work closely with recruitment team to implement strategic initiatives.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team.
- Responsible for performance evaluations and professional development for China team.
INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION
- Offer advice and guidance to international students and their families during the application and admission processes.
- Correspond with candidates, counselors, or others to confirm eligibility for admission.
- Generate daily report through Slate to ascertain and analyze applicant completion status and reviewing progress.
- Review assigned applicant files, notify applicants of missing materials, and monitor applications to completion through phone calls, text messaging, and emails.
- Evaluate first year applications upon completion and make admission decisions to the qualified Chinese applicants.
- Evaluate transfer applications upon completion and make admission decisions to the qualified transfer applicants.
- Evaluate and analyze transfer credits for transfer applicants. Post transferable credits via Banner to ensure transfer applicants receive proper and accurate college credits before enrolling and registering for classes.
- Collaborate other department on campus to provide further college credits evaluation for continuing students as needed.
- Ensure applicants provide financial and immigration documents necessary for issuance of Certificates of Eligibility (Forms I-20) to accepted students.
- Facilitate and interact with current applicants during the admission peak season. Answer questions and concerns that current applicants and their parents may have, provide lots of personal attention and assistance as they need before making the enrollment decision.
GENERAL STUDENT RECRUITMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Host Chinese education delegations, international visitors and other guests visit to USF.
- Assist in design, development and delivery of special event and other yield activities for accepted undergraduate and graduate students from China.
- Build relationships, provide ongoing communications, and develop partnerships with other offices to better serve applicants. Serve as an international admission liaison to various offices, especially including CASA, Academic English Multilingual Department, International Student Services, Residence Life, and Academic and Enrollment Services.
- Other related duties as requested.
- Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of demonstrated experience in international admissions, program and project management, and budget and financial administration. Master's degree preferred.
- Three to five years of experience of international student recruitment preferred, with an emphasis on China.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible work experience, preferably with managing a team.
- Must possess well-developed and successful administrative skills and experience, as well as independent judgment and ability to meet responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Must possess proficient oral and written English communication skills. Fluency in oral and written Mandarin preferred.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with others and as a member of a team; assist faculty, students, staff, and others with tact, discretion, and courtesy; work efficiently and calmly under pressure; and keep faculty, staff, student and other records confidential.
- Must be well-organized, flexible, and able to work in diverse situations and with demanding deadlines.
- Must have, or be able to develop quickly, understanding of academic policy and administrative operations as well as credible stature with members of the academic community and public.
- Must have ability to establish cordial, collaborative relationships with diverse constituencies: faculty, staff and other professional colleagues, students and their families, international educators and agents, et al.
- Must have ability to develop strong working relationships with Undergraduate and Graduate Admission Office staff, as well as with Graduate Admission specialists in the Schools and Colleges, and staff in the Offices of International Student Services, Residence Life, and Accounting Business Services.
- Familiarity with Banner applications, especially admission.
- Familiarity with Slate, for application process.
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively abroad. Must possess valid driver's license and current passport, or ability to obtain both. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Sees the "big picture" and thus understands relevant interrelationships. Participates actively in the development of realistic strategies that help to ensure the long-term sustainability of key partnerships, programs and the organization. Builds and maintains strong relationships with key contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to present information in various formats to effectively communicate cross-generationally with a variety of persons and audiences.
- Experience working with culturally diverse communities and organizations. Understanding of diverse student populations and demonstration of cultural awareness.
- Knowledge of and experience working with students who are the first generation in their families to attend college and attain a Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to think innovatively, creatively, strategically and collaboratively; effectively manages programs and facilitates thoughtful and insightful problem resolution.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and as part of a team, establishing, building and retaining cooperative and collaborative working relationships while performing responsibilities.
- Ability to use databases, report generators, spreadsheets, electronic presentation software.
- Ability to travel (estimated 20-30% of time) to China and other domestic and international locations.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Senior-Director-of-International-Admission--China_R0003692.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency