This ad is expired.
Student Success Coach
Posting Type: Civil Service
Department: Student Support Service
The Northern Illinois University (NIU) Student Support Services Program is a federally funded grant program designed to support 140 NIU students who are from low-income families or are first generation college students. One of the goals of the program is to facilitate the retention of student participants, as well as admission into, and graduation from limited admissions, limited access and other targeted majors. The program provides these students with comprehensive academic, career, and financial literacy counseling services as well as cultural enrichment activities designed to enhance their persistence and graduation from NIU and help them to transition to graduate school or full-time employment. The Student Success Coach, under the supervision of the Executive Director, is responsible providing educational and counseling services to enhance the retention and graduation rates of program participants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Student Success Coach, collects and analyzes information about participants through academic records, interviews, and other professional sources. The Success Coach also assesses interests, monitor academic progress and aids students in meeting their academic and professional goals and carrying out grant objectives. Assigned duties will include planning workshops and events for basic academic skill development purposes, cultural activities and exploration, career planning, study skills, financial and economic literacy and stress management.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
1. Bachelors degree in education, counseling or related discipline with counseling training
2. One year of full time paid work experience with adolescents, high school or college students.
3. Demonstrated experience and sensitivity in working with students from underserved populations.
Education and Experience Preferred:
Two years of full time paid employment working experience with adolescents, high school or college students. Professional work experience within TRIO or similar programs; work experience that relates directly to the providing services to culturally and academically diverse college students. Background similar to student population to be served including from low-income family or first in immediate family to attend college. Bilingual English/Spanish.
Working Hours: M- F 8:00am - 4:30pm
Hiring Rate/Range: Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Posting Date: 10/15/2020
Closing Date: 10/30/2020
Priority Review Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Please upload a one page professional writing sample and a list of three current professional references that include a name, email address and phone number in order to be considered.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veterans Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Program/Student Advisor for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois Universitys benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
To apply, visit https://employment.niu.edu/postings/54101
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency