San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: Evergreen Valley College
The Transition Specialist reports to the Division Dean, LLRC, Distance Education, Dual Enrollment at Evergreen Valley College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Thursday; 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. and Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Transition Specialist position is a grant funded and contingent upon yearly funding.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under general direction of the Dean, Business & Technology or assigned administrator at the Workforce Institute, the Transition Specialist works with the region's adult schools to assist adult education students in identifying goals and promoting career pathways in order to achieve successful transition to post-secondary education, training and/or employment. The position is also responsible for documenting student participation and progress as specified by funding source requirements as well as developing ideas for new programs and services that benefit adult learners in the transition phase.
Incumbent in this role provides guidance and assistance to students transitioning from the South Bay Consortium for Adult Education (SBCAE) member districts to college. The incumbent works with other Transition Specialists from the SBCAE and external partners to facilitate students' achievement of career and academic goals.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Meet regularly with SBCAE Transition Specialists to coordinate and facilitate student transitions: adult schools, high schools, community colleges and other community-based organizations.
2. Schedule and conduct group/individual tours of college with SBCAE member and partner institutes, and follow-up with each organization; present information to students, staff and the general public in a variety of settings.
3. Adhere to the Regional Plan program goals and performance measures.
4. Communicate and respond to inquiries from internal and external agencies or individuals. Provide assistance and information to faculty, staff and the public as requested.
5. Develop and organize bridge/transition information materials to facilitate student information sessions to increase college awareness.
6. Assist students in completion of college enrollment, paper or online forms and applications; review forms for accuracy and consistency.
7. Prepare and provide transitioning adult learner students' assessment and orientation sessions, as well as workshops to connect students to all college support services.
8. Support all transitioning adult learner students to set career and academic goals and identify the support services needed to address challenges that negatively impact each student's success.
9. Work with faculty and support staff to identify appropriate differentiated instruction, and provide students personalized instructional support and contexts aligned to their career and academic goals.
10. Participate in the development, planning and implementation of non-credit policies and strategies aimed at increasing adult learner student success in all college programs and services.
11. Maintain records, prepare reports and other documents according to established guidelines and procedures needed to meet grant requirements.
12. Collect, interpret, and report/disseminate data on student progress with all stakeholders, including data required by the funder(s).
13. Perform follow-up tasks as required by funding source; make recommendations or take actions to improve performance measures to ensure positive outcomes for grant reporting.
14. Collaborate with other college departments to increase understanding of non-credit programs and outreach to the region's adult learners.
15. Collaborate with member institutions or other public agencies for students to have access to internship and employment opportunities, and other services the college cannot provide.
16. Assist in providing web contents and updates to the adult education website provider.
17. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Basic education operations, services and activities for adult learners in adult schools, high schools and equivalent programs.
2. Community college bridge/transition, non-credit classes, programs and support systems.
3. Needs or special concerns of high school and adult school students enrolling at community colleges.
4. Knowledge of non-credit education such as ABE, ASE, ESL, HSE, and/or CTE.
5. Federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-credit education in community colleges.
6. Principals and techniques of presentation delivery in an environment with diverse audience.
7. Modern office practices, procedures and equipment including computer operations.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Perform specialized adult learner transition duties to promote student success in non-credit programs.
2. Use software or other media to enhance presentations; make oral presentations before large or small groups.
3. Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
4. Exercise sound judgement in reviewing and evaluating student applications and goals.
5. Be patient, flexible, culturally proficient, and able to work with individuals from diverse ethnic and linguistic backgrounds
6. Maintain accurate records and prepare reports, summaries and evaluations.
7. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
8. Develop and update forms and marketing materials.
9. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
10. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
11. Work independently with little supervision; prioritize work and meet schedules.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. An Associate degree or equivalent supplemented by college course work in education, counseling, social services or related field.2. Four years of increasingly responsible experience that includes direct work in: adult education, academic and career counseling, or student outreach areas.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$71,950 - 87,822 Annual Salary (Range 89: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2023-2024). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 20 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency