Microbiology -Assistant Professor
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
- Available for Academic Year: 2018/2019.
- Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process.
- Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
- California State University, Fresno is a vibrant and growing campus. When necessary, the University may decide to make more than one faculty appointment from a single search.
The successful candidate will be broadly trained with expertise in microbiology. All candidates whose research program addresses fundamental questions in microorganisms (archaea, bacteria, fungi or protists) will be considered. Specific teaching assignments will depend on the candidate's expertise and departmental needs, which may include general microbiology, microbial ecology, microbial genetics/genomics, microbial physiology and/or graduate courses in the candidate's area of expertise. The successful candidate is expected to develop a strong research program that involves both undergraduate and Master's students and pursue external funding. Faculty members are also expected to engage in service activities at all levels of the university and provide academic and professional advice to students.
Overview: The Department of Biology consists of a diverse group of faculty who are excellent educators with active, externally-funded research programs. They are dedicated to providing students with cutting-edge experiences in their areas of expertise. The department includes 19 full-time faculty with research strengths in physiology, ecology and evolutionary biology, molecular genetics, cellular and developmental biology, and microbiology, with whom the successful candidate may collaborate. In addition, interdisciplinary collaborations within and outside of the College of Science and Mathematics are encouraged.
Required Education: An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Microbiology, Biology or other closely-related disciplines from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required.
1) Evidence of publications in scholarly journals,
2) Demonstration of scholarly activity, including participation in original research, presentations at meetings in the field, and/or grant submission,
3) Evidence of teaching preparedness and,
4) Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
1) Successful teaching experience at the undergraduate level,
2) Postdoctoral research or experience,
3) A publication record that is commensurate with the candidate's experience,
4) Success obtaining extramural grants and contracts for research.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin on Monday, October 9, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Individuals interested in being considered for this position must complete an online application at http://jobs.fresnostate.edu and attach the following supporting documents: 1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications, 2) a current curriculum vitae, 3) a statement of current and future research, 4) a statement of teaching philosophy, 5) a list of five professional references. Finalists will be required to submit (1) three current letters of recommendation and (2) official transcripts. For inquiries contact Dr. Tricia Van Laar, Search Committee Chair; California State University, Fresno; College of Science and Mathematics; Department of Biology; 2555 E San Ramon Ave, MS SB73; Fresno, CA 93740-8034; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: (559) 278-4095; fax: (559) 278-3963.
Other: In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees on-line at http://www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency