Substitute Library Specialist
Job Type: Staff
Department: Library & Learning Resources
Under the primary direction of the Coordinator of Library Services, the Library Specialist will perform more complex and technical clerical library duties relating to the circulation of library Reserve and Interlibrary loan materials, provide basic reference service and assist library patrons in locating materials and information in print, microform and electronic formats, and perform more complex and technical duties relating to the ordering, processing, cataloging and distribution of books and other library materials.
Incumbents in the Library Specialist classification are assigned more complex and technical duties involving the circulation of Reserve and Interlibrary loan materials, assisting library users and staff with research, providing basic reference assistance and performing other duties associated with the ordering, processing, cataloging and maintenance of books and other library materials. Incumbents in the Library Technician classification perform duties in ordering, processing and circulating Reserve and Interlibrary loan materials.
- Perform varied technical and clerical duties relating to the circulation of library Reserve and Interlibrary loan materials.
- Under the supervision of the Reference Librarian, assist patrons in using research and reference sources encompassing a wide range of topics.
- Assist in the processing of books, periodicals and other library materials. Check in, process and shelve periodicals, microfilm, and newspapers; contact vendors as necessary to claim missing issues. Receive books and supplies, check items for damage and compare to items listed on invoices, identify discrepancies, reconcile differences with vendors.
- Assist patrons in the use of all patron-based library equipment including electronic catalogs, videotape players, photocopiers, microform reader/printers and compact disc players. Perform basic maintenance on library equipment such as replacing toner cartridges on printers, photocopiers and fax machines, and restocking paper in all equipment as necessary. Maintain records of microfiche, photocopier and printer usage.
- Operate computers to perform a wide variety of library duties such as processing interlibrary loan requests, accessing student records to place and release holds from records, accessing all the librarys informational databases, and entering and removing data on the library catalog.
- Operate library catalog (DRA) and OCLC systems to locate, copy and edit bibliographic records, produce shelf list cards and update records. Maintain shelf list of library collection (LC catalog cards). Perform inventories of library supplies and materials; order supplies when necessary. Type requisitions, purchase orders, and work orders as necessary.
- Perform in stack maintenance including shelf reading, stack shifting, collection weeding, etc. Assist librarians in weeding collection of obsolete, damaged and withdrawn items. Process for withdrawal all periodical issues no longer appropriate to the collection; discard these issues.
- Perform various technical and clerical duties related to the acquisition and distribution of materials including verifying bibliographic information, ordering new materials, adding catalog records of new materials to library system, withdraw records from catalog when materials are deselected.
- Prepare books for circulation, affix labels and pockets, security strip, property stamp, provide jacket protectors, barcodes, etc. Perform various repairs to books including rebuilding spines, tipping-in pages, and replacing labels, pockets, etc.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of reports, records and files; open and close files at start and end of fiscal year. Prepare statistical information as requested on addition/deletion of new books and other library materials, interlibrary loan transactions, library equipment usage, etc.
- Assist in the collection and transfer of monies collected from library fines, fees and coin operated and other machines. Assist in the assessment of overdue fines.
- Open and close library facilities, including entering code to arm and disarm building alarm, turn on and off all patron-based library equipment.
- Assist in scheduling work, training and directing student assistants.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of increasingly responsible library experience.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Knowledge of the Library of Congress Classification System, OCLC and Data Research (DRA) systems. Ability to design and prepare graphic artwork, maps, flyers and other informational materials as assigned.
Basic library methods, practices and procedures; principles and methods of circulating books and other library materials; principles and methods of ordering, receiving, processing, and shelving materials; principles and methods of maintaining records of library materials; alphabetical and numerical filing systems; basic college library reference sources; methods and procedures of operating computers and related equipment; basic procedures of computer use, including accessing Internet, database searching, and various other computer programs; telephone techniques and etiquette; correct English usage including grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy with students, staff, and the public from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Perform technical library duties; use the Library of Congress Classification system; compare names and numbers rapidly and accurately; under the direction of a librarian, assist student, faculty, staff and the public with basic reference and research questions; compile statistical reports; accurately organize and maintain a variety of records; evaluate work assignments and make responsible, independent judgments; train and provide work direction to others; understand and follow oral and written instructions; work cooperatively with others; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; operate computers with a wide variety of software applications; operate other office equipment; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; lift moderately heavy objects.
Working Conditions: Environment : Library environment. Constant interruptions.
Substitute Classified Position, Range 7
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Weekly Working Hours: other
Work Schedule & Hours:
Salary Schedule Range: Row 7: $18.62
Specific Departmental Needs:
Posting Number: 18-546
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date (if temporary):
Interview Date: 08/22/2018
Posting Open Date: 08/06/2018
Posting Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Professional References should include at least two supervisors and two colleagues. Please include name, title, relationship and current phone numbers. Letters of reference and personal references will not be accepted in lieu of the required professional references.
Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
College Transcripts: For consideration of college coursework, transcripts must be attached. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
To apply, visit https://cod.peopleadmin.com/postings/2796
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency